Low Fat Scrumptious Carrot Cake!
This low-cal carrot cake is one of the most delicious cakes I have ever tasted and I normally cannot stand carrot cake! It’s relatively easy to do but does take a little time – persevere though because it is b-e-a-u-tiful!
- 175g of light brown muscavado sugar
- 2 eggs
- 120ml of olive/sunflower oil
- 200g wholemeal all purpose flour ( a healthy alternative to white)
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- Grated zest of a satsuma
- 2 leveled teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 200g carrots (peeled and then grated)
- Half juice from a satsuma
- 1 dessert spoon of lemon juice
- 40g of light brown muscavado sugar
- Mix the sugar, eggs and oil together in a bowl using a wooden spoon
- Sift together the flour and baking soda into the bowl gradually folding it in. Either leave the bits of bran to one side or add them depending on if the consistency is too stiff already.
- Stir this all together than add the orange zest and grated carrots, folding it in to the mixture.
- Grease the bottom of a lasagne dish with either butter or grease proof paper and pour the mixture into the dish. Spread out evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes at 170 degrees until a knife comes out clean.
- Turn the oven off but leave the cake in there while you prepare the syrup.
- Pour all the syrup ingredients into a bowl and stir until the lumps of sugar have disappeared. Add more sugar if the mixture is runny.
- Take the cake out of the oven and pierce holes with a knife or skewer. Quickly spoon the syrup over the top so it soaks into the cake for the moist texture.
- Leave to cool on the side.
Extra Tip: Make glace icing using the instructions on the back of the icing sugar packet but add a dusting of cinnamon for that real warm christmassy feeling! 🙂