I’m not a fan of lemons but my mum swears by this recipe. Except this time I’ve used brown sugar instead of caster to make it even lighter than it already is.
100g of light butter
175g self raising flour
175g light brown soft sugar
1 tspn baking powder
7 dessert spoons milk
Grind of 2 small lemons
40g of light brown soft sugar
Juice of the 2 lemons used for the grind (about 4 dessert spoons).
1. Put all the ingredients except the milk into a bowl and mix together with a wooden spoon.
2. Add the milk when the mixture will not mix anymore and needs some liquid.
3. Grease an oblong tin and pour the mixture in, smoothing it over with the wooden spoon.
4. Bake for 35-40 minutes on 170 degrees and keep checking on it once it gets past 25 minutes.
5. For the icing, mix the sugar and lemon juice together until you have a thin mixture.
6. Once the cake has cooled for 15 minutes drizzle the syrup over the top and into the cracks so it seeps into the cake.
7. Leave to cool for a further 15 minutes and cut into slices.