My sister is just about the fussiest person I know! If it doesn’t taste like its bad for you it’s not good enough basically. Forget about anything wholemeal or anything green it just doesn’t happen! So when she looked at my egg white omelette with chicken mushroom and spinach, and said the words “that looks yum” I almost died.
Hence my next very varied post of how to make cooking an omelette so easy it will be a weekly fave in no time.
Sausage, spinach and mushroom omelette
3 eggs (use the whites or the whole thing)
3 large mushrooms
2 handfuls of spinach
1. Grill the sausages on a medium heat until golden brown and cooked through.
2. Chop the mushrooms into small pieces and fry in a little butter until brown also.
3. Whisk the 3 eggs together in a large jug and add a pinch of salt.
4. Cook the spinach in either shallow cold water over the hob or in the microwave for a few seconds. Be sure to watch it though as it turns very quickly into mush!
5. Once all the ingredients are cooked, add them to the whisked egg and mix around so they become intertwined. I always add a little chopped clove of garlic to the mix for extra flavour.
6. Heat some oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Once the oil is heated, pour all the mixture into the pan and spread evenly to form the omelette shape.
7. Grab a spatula and start to push it under the sides of the now formed omelette to stop it from sticking. Gradually lift one side to check if the bottom is browning.
8. Once the underside is starting to brown that’s where the flip usually comes in – nope not this time. Simply turn on your grill and whack the whole frying pan underneath, checking every so often to stop it burning.
9. Once the top has browned, slide it out onto a plate and serve with salad (if you fancy).
Other ingredients: ham, low fat cheese and spinach